The Examination is going on tour to the following venues in 2023:
- Festival de Liège, Belgium – February 16th & 17th – BOOK NOW
- Riverbank Arts Centre, Newbridge – March 29th – BOOK NOW
- Glór, Ennis – April 5th– BOOK NOW
- Lime Tree Theatre, Limerick – April 7th & 8th – BOOK NOW
- The Everyman, Cork – April 13th – BOOK NOW
- The Source Arts Centre, Thurles – April 15th – BOOK NOW
- Blackwater Fit Ups Festival, April 20th – Ballynoe Community Centre, April 21st – The Palace Theatre Fermoy, April 22nd- Ballydehob Community Hall – TICKETS AVAILABLE ON THE DOOR
- An Grianán, Letterkenny – April 25th – BOOK NOW
- Town Hall Theatre, Galway – April 29th– BOOK NOW
The Examination is the award-winning production by Brokentalkers exploring mental health and human rights in the prison system. Performed by Brokentalkers’ Gary Keegan and stand-up comedian and former prisoner Willie White.Featuring Brokentalkers’ distinctive blend of biography, socio-political discourse and breath taking theatricality, The Examination draws on historical research and testimony from current and former prisoners. With powerful imagery and a visceral sound scape, The Examination is an uncompromising and revelatory interrogation of an aspect of society too often ignored.
The Examination is the outcome of a 12-month research period, that saw Brokentalkers’ directors Gary Keegan and Feidlim Cannon hold theatre workshops and interviews with life sentence prisoners and former prisoners in various settings including Mountjoy Prison and PACE Training and Education Services. They have also drawn on wider historical analysis undertaken by Associate Professor Catherine Cox (UCD) and Professor Hilary Marland .
Best Production – Irish Times Theatre Awards 2020
⭐⭐⭐⭐ ‘Superbly slippery piece of theatre’ – The Stage
⭐⭐⭐⭐ ‘No easy escapes in Brokentalkers’ sly, provocative play’ – The Irish Times
⭐⭐⭐⭐ ‘Again and again, ‘The Examination’ pulls the rug out from under you’ – Fest
The Examination Leinster Tour is funded by The Arts Council Touring Award.